Sunday, June 24, 2007

ravelry

omg I just read a post on a blog about how someone had received her ravelry invite but hadn't had anytime to play with it yet. Are you kidding? Not that I'm that fanatical about photographing and cataloging my knitting (erm, look at the state of this blog) but there are those of us who plan to CALL OUT OF WORK when/if they get their ravelry invites. If anything I just want to set up an account and take a look around. You all know I'm not the "here are the WIPs" type. Still.

As for my knitting, since you asked, I've finished a number of pairs of socks, am halfway through my Sockpal socks, have not yet picked Mum's Christmas socks (which are traditionally knit in spring/summer), and am actually working on EVEN MORE nonsock items. One little wrappy thing (which will probably be ripped not for lack of fit but mostly because I just hate it now, like you hate that one person in your office but you can't say exactly why) and the Cable-Down Raglan that Gali pointed out during the Naked Ladee Party last weekend. I am mere rows away from casting off the green cashmere Alpine Lace stole, have already cast on and knit three charts of the Hidcote Garden shawl, and have spent a lot of time this weekend lazily looking through my pattern stash to see "what I'll knit next." That's code for "what do I want to buy yarn for? as though I don't have ANY lace weight yarn as it is." I'm really trying to work through my stash, and pair up patterns that will work with the yarn that I've already got, and I guess it's a good thing that I'm a ho for cranberry-red yarn in large amounts, because I'll never tire of knitting Yet Another Item in that color. Short-sleeved, long-sleeved, shawl, sock, hat, mittens... One day I will make the most awesome crazy quilt of all my red-yarn leftovers. One day.

In other news, my job still has a strangle-hold on my life and I go through a crisis every now and then thinking that I have to FLEE as quickly as possible, that my mindset is in opposition with that of the company in particular and the industry at large. Then I get a good night's sleep and remember that I actually have the best job I could possibly have right now, which means this isn't where I want to be ten years from now, but it's the place to be if I want to get to where I'd like to be later. Hmm. Most of you who really know me might be surprised to see a flicker of ambition here, and I'm no less surprised than anyone else. I try to make it my hallmark to not give a fuck and just take things as they come. I don't know what I'll be doing in six months so I act like I don't care. But then I think "I'm in opposition to my company in particular and the industry at large" and, being an especially stubborn person, I decide to go on a crusade to bring my message of hope and salvation to my pitifully insular industry. I'll probably go down in flames, so I'm going to try to have fun in the process, at least until they pull the plug and I get so poor that I have to leave this teeming metropolis and move back to the grubby little college town nearby.

Wow!! I should try to drink a bottle of wine every night! Then there would be a deluge of blog posts!! None of which feature web-savvy linkage or reader-friendly images, but damn there would be a lot of words.

1 comment:

Knitnik said...

So glad to know you're still alive! I don't have my ravelry invite yet, but that's probably a good thing, as I can see it being a major timesucker, and time is something I just don't have!

I hope that the job thing starts looking up - maybe it's time to find a job you really love in a field you can at least tolerate!