Saturday, December 29, 2007

the view from here

First of all, I want to inform my readers that all consulted sources have informed me that the current temperature outside is 70 degrees F! What kind of December is this? What am I supposed to do with all these wool sweaters I want to make?

Well, to be honest, I've figured out what to do with all those wooly leftovers from long-ago projects, those odd balls that have their own special under-bed storage box that is nothing but a giant mysterious tangle. I have decided to use those suckers for the upcoming Afghans for Afghans baby-stuff drive. Perfect! I can knock out some booties and hats and stuff, and not worry about the items being felted in the washing machine or snubbed for being unfashionable. I have also inherited a giant bag of 1970s acrylique that I will use for local charity knitting, probably blankets for animals shelters (kitties and doggies get cold too!) that will get the beejesus washed out of them. And finally, I have been piling up all the yarn that is not appropriate for either use, and making little tags a la Knitta Please with which to terrorize and confuse the local populace. You may think the tags are a waste of time and energy (and yarn) but they come in handy when you want something to do while you watch a subtitled movie. On a 13" television. My eyes can't handle the looking-back-and-forth in that situation.

Well, you say, why not cast on for something useful, like a sweater, or one of those baby articles? Because I'm trying to winnow my WIPpies down to one, silly reader! And guess what? I'm gonna do it. I have two WIPs on the needles right now and one of them is a second sock that is one toe away from completion. (The other is a sweater that is not even half-done, so it will definitely be the single WIP for New Year's Eve.)

I am hoping that I can use my upcoming January vacation time to knit up some of the charity stuff, to ease the guilt I may feel later when I dive into the stash and cast on approximately ten projects per day, which will inevitably lead to even more little leftover balls, which will restock the oddball bin and create a brand new tangle for 2008. Yay!

p.s. congratulations to the LaMont family who graciously welcomed a baby girl into the world this afternoon! Get ready for silly pink things to show up in the mail!

No comments: