Saturday, October 08, 2005

"oodles of yarn"

I will confess: I haven't posted about my trip to Vermont Sheep and Wool because every time I start to write, I think, "Why am I writing now? I should be knitting! I've got so much new yarn, if I don't start finishing projects NOW I will never get to it!" So I've been working on a lot of older projects, trying to get them off the needles, in order to start on "fresh" yarn.

Flying is such a hassle! What I really mean is, packing to avoid checking any luggage is a hassle! For previous fall knitting trips, our space limitations were dictated by the backseat and trunks of the various cars we would be driving, so we could, say, take all our back issues of Rebecca or our pattern-leaflet stash. We could bring endless amounts of shoes and clothes for our day-to-night outfit changes. It was a sobering thing to try to fit all my equipment into my little green weekender carryon, knowing that I still have to leave some space for the yarn I'd be bringing back with me. (My secret plan was to box it all up and mail it home.) So, the decision was made: jeans and tshirts all the way, one pair of sneakers, and pray for moderate weather.

Vermont was gorgeous, so of course I didn't take any pictures of the pretty trees or lovely mountains. But I did take pictures of my sock toe!



This is the Bosnian garter-square sock toe described by Lucy Neatby in her colorful little sock book. It is an easy way to start a sock toe-up, but I must admit that I prefer a more "fitted" fit. It is, however, a nice addition to my library of toe-up sock methods.

There was a LOT of sock knitting going on, as we would carry our projects with us in hopes that we could sneak a stitch or two in our spare minutes. Olive Landlord had, I think, three different socks at work at one point. Here's Agent Gray being a good girl and starting the Other Sock after finishing sock one of her yellow Koigu lace socks:



There is more documentation of her yellow socks on her blog, which also contains more information about our trip!

I worked diligently on my little pink and purple socks, which technically aren't mine at all, as I promised them to Agent Gray as remuneration for the blue socks she gave me a few years ago. Here is sock one completed:



You may think that a completed Sock One means that I have the whole next sock to work, but no! The fun of toe-up afterthought-heel socks is that you can make both socks back to back, then work their heels lickety-split at the end, and be DONE! Of course now I'm resting on my laurels, as I have finished the heel of sock one and have really only just picked up the heel stitches for sock two. The beauty of it? Both socks required only ONE ball of KnitPicks Dancing sock yarn, kindly given to me by my Secret Pal of Five. What to do with the other ball I was given? Hmm...

There's no denying that there's more to the story. I, however, must prepare for the World Beer Festival, and get some knitting done beforehand, because I'm quite sure I won't be inclined to knit AFTER the festival. I will probably, like last year, be inclined only to lie on the couch and watch a movie and try not to doze off.



STAY TUNED!

No comments: