Tuesday, November 08, 2005

dragged to the yarn store

This link is courtesy of raynorg, as was the awesome knitted-zombie link. (There ought to be more knitted film tableaux, I think.)

Roast Beef tells about his trip to the yarn store. You can always tell when someone is in a yarn store against his will. I don't think I've been able to swindle ANY male person into a yarn store, either the kind that are blood relations or the kind that are "relations"-relations. I particularly like this post because it reads exactly like how my friend Eric would describe a trip to a yarn shop, though he probably would never go there with me just as I probably would never go shoe shopping with him. (His appreciation for shoes is light-years beyond mine. I wouldn't stand a chance.)

It's true. There are an awful lot of young women into knitting these days, and I am often surprised when I meet a guy in his 20s who doesn't know anyone (besides me) who knits. I remember when my roommate first moved in and explained to him that I was simply unable to control the proliferation of yarn within the homestead, and he gave me this weird look like "You do WHAT? You KNIT? Are you SIXTY?" My most recent boyfriend had never dated a knitter before, which is surprising since he seems to run in such circles (and is a SLUT). He never complained about my knitting like I always expected him to, he only complained that I would want the light on during movies (so I could see, duh) and he wanted it off (so he could see, duh). We just weren't looking at the same things. And I guess that's why "boyfriends" turn into "exes." The perfect partner, I am beginning to think, just might be the one who will go by the yarn store for an emergency extra skein on his way home from work. "Honey, just tell the lady the color number and dyelot, it'll be fine. Don't worry, they won't hurt you there." Screw buying tampons for the girlfriend, that's so 1980s.

Not a lot of news on the knitting front here, I'm still working on Lack of Safety Culture, and the Netflix Q is no longer on hold so I'm getting movies again, which means more time spent knitting. I am itching to start something new, just to have something fresh to work on, but I feel guilty sometimes. Maybe I will start something anyway. I'd love to knit up some of my stash Koigu into gloves. Agent Gray gave me some red Koigu for my birthday a few years ago and it would make a great pair... I'd like to try this finger-to-cuff method I've been hearing about, but don't know where to start.

2 comments:

gray la gran said...

i've successfully dragged a couple of boys into yarnshops before! one even bought me yarn! but you know, boys will do these things for girls, if, ... well you know. does this make me the ultimate yarn slut?

Anonymous said...

How did I miss that you have a knitting blog? I love it! I have gotten boys into the yarn store, but they always glaze over immediately and stumble around until I get what I need and escort them out. Window shopping with them is right out.