Case #1:

Pretty, isn't it? It's Knitpicks Alpaca Cloud in color Moss, and it's sooo soft and so pretty and it does NOT work with this pattern at all. I bought the yarn specifically to make this shawl, so I guess I'm stuck with finding something else for it... I was going to have to rip it anyway, since my cast-on is not loose enough, although I used a larger needle in order not to make it tight. Because of this tight cast-on, the bottom border ripples and I know I will never be happy with it. While I'm ripping back to the very beginning, I may as well rethink the project altogether.
Case #2:

Fun, eh? I'm actually starting on a project while I'm still interested in working on it, and while the yarn is still "fresh". (It's from the Minneapolis trip!) In order to avoid that dreaded spiral of color-pooling that Mountain Colors Bearfoot will inflict, I decided to try the "alternating skeins" thing, to NO avail. The sock is pretty and the pattern knits up quickly (mostly ribbing with an infrequent, simple cable cross). But why bother knitting with two balls if the spiral is still showing up? Rip! Rip! Rip! Unlike the moss-green stole above, I have not waited to rip the sock; in fact I've already started over. I hate the spiral effect but love the yarn, so I am going to suck it up and concentrate on the beautiful reds. I should learn that handpainted yarns and I never ever get along. I don't get how anyone can NOT care about the way they knit up.
Speaking of handpaints, I am seeing my Uber-Skein everywhere these days, I see its colors in the outfits people wear and on glassware and in giftwrap. My Uber-Skein! I love you! I am hoping to make something with the Uber-Skein colorway, and thus am seeking out more of it. This is what Patternworks shows for my color number:

That ain't no Uber-Skein! That looks like Easter to me. I am thinking that I may have to do some real WORK and ferret out some solid-color balls of yarn that match the Uber-Skein, and do something stripey or fair-isley. It could happen. I could be happy one day.
This, mind you, is the Original Uber-Skein and Queen of All Handpaints:

Long may She reign.
In the meantime, since the only knitting of mine that is working out are also the boring projects I've been working on for months, I have found joy in the small things.

Some people get health insurance through their jobs, I get cast-iron teapots. The little knob that tops the lid is missing (how do you break something that's made of iron?) so I got the pot for free. I already have about eighteen teapots more than I need (especially since I don't use ANY of them anymore) so this one might just hang out on the counter and make me happy. When I quit all my jobs and start knitblogging for a living then I'll need to make large amounts of tea, and then I can use my pots. I also got some little tea samples that I will give to my mom for Christmas; I think I will stuff them in the RetroRibs I made for her= "stocking stuffers"! :P
5 comments:
So you have the pretty green tea kettle, but do you have a nice teapot for it to steep in while serving it to your friends when they come over to visit? And a nice bottle of applejack for them to pour themselves a nip?
This just in ... an all knitted wedding: http://www.castoff.info/album/wedding/
The teapot lid must've fallen onto tile or something. That's a shame. Still, awesome teapot.
I like the Baltic Sea Stole, too. I do hope it works out.
I feel your knitting angst. I too have started way too many projects lately that just aren't quite right! I've got one project left that might make me happy, otherwise I'm starting over with a garter stitch scarf until I can get my act together.
hunny, i've tried sweaters, socks, mitts, you name it. all i can make progress on right now are bugs. yep. the bug knitter. and i left one at work! whaaa! hope no one steals it :(
i had a bad day, so i "treated" myself to some yarn for socks. something worsted wt. something pretty. oh, i feel better now. i have yarn and wine.
it was nice to see your face today!
Post a Comment