
I'm always at work on a pair of socks. Very often, I am working on more than one pair. Some patterns require a little more concentration than others, and so they live next to the knitting chair and only get picked up when I think I can pay proper attention to them. Some socks are pretty easy-going, so they end up being carted around with me, everywhere I go, just in case I have a spare minute to knit on them. Sometimes I'm too busy to remember that I even have knitting with me, but whenever I get stuck at the light at highways 54 and 55... now that's a good couple of minutes with nothing to do. C'mon, I've always been a knit-at-stoplights kind of person. Now I am just trying to break my habit of reading email on my "smart phone" at stoplights, because then I forget to look up until someone starts honking behind me. Knitting in car = good. Emailing in car = bad. And who wants to be reading work email on the road, which for all intents and purposes, is "me" time. Even if I'm driving around because of work. Which is really why I drive anyway. Hundreds of miles a week, which SUCKS. I get depressed when I think of how unsustainable my job is. I wish there was a way I could dump my '99 sedan for a sexy new alternative-fuel hotrod, but really I'd rather just dump my car outright.
So... socks! On the left, Lenten Rose socks in Sundara Yarns (yes I am in the sock yarn club! a girl has to make herself happy somehow); in the middle, Pomatomus in Claudia Handpaints bought at Crafty Bastards; on the right, Zokni socks in Lorna's Laces (my first Lorna's but NOT my last). Can you see the kinds of colors I've been into for the past few months? Well now things are warmer outside and the tender green leaves everywhere have brightened my palette somewhat.
I'm pretty sure I've made more socks than these since Socktoberfest... they must be hiding in a drawer or something. I'm really just trying to reduce my enormous sock yarn stash, which isn't as bad as some of the stashes I've seen. It still strikes me as "unmanageable" and "unrealistic," like "If I knit nothing but socks for the next five years, would I actually run out of yarn?" I have been thinking of taking stock of my sock yarn, but then I start to get all sorts of feelings of guilt and avoidance, and the next thing you know, I'm doing laundry or my taxes or anything that will distract me from confronting my yarn stash. I guess that, in the long run, I'm doing well as long as I haven't had to employ an off-site storage facility.
Seasocks vacation starts THIS WEEK! I still have so much work-stuff to do, but more than enough time to do it. Which means there is no excuse for delaying packing until the night before we leave. Which I will do anyway. I am a nervous and weird traveller, but the upside is that even though I very often am miserable during the trip, I retain nothing but fond memories of the experience. :)
2 comments:
what the hell?! i didn't even realize you had posted ... i came to see what yarn you used for your pomatomus socks. and now, i know! i'm a fan of the claudia handpaint. i am not a fan of the slow slow knitting of the pomatomus pattern though. but, i do love how the twisted knit stitches just pop ! perhaps, i would be a fan of the actual knitting, if i knitted continental style.
oh, i'm way to brain dead to be up commenting.
i think i'm going to go to bed and read about socks ;)
nighty night!
Hey Pink
I am glad you are back to blogging. Hope you have a ball on your cruise!
Love the socks and the colors. They are really pretty.
Post a Comment