I feel like I spend too much time in front of the computer and not enough time doing things, but I have gotten better at spending my computer time wisely. I don't blog-surf every day like I used to, and I don't keep my computer on all the time just in case I feel like looking something up or what-have-you. To get a lot of bang for my buck, I check one of my favorite sites, lifehacker on a regular basis, because there are always valuable tips on, well, on just about everything. How to save time, save money, get things done and get them done in a better way.
Recently they linked to this essay about clutter and "stuff" and it got me to thinking about knitting, as just about anything gets me thinking about knitting. There is a comment about compulsive clothes-buying, and how one way to avoid it is to ask yourself whenever you pick something up, "Am I going to wear this all the time?" Now, "all the time" is sort of an exaggeration, I don't even wear my beloved Danskos all the time (probably just 90% of the time). However, it occurred to me that I should be asking myself that of the knitting projects I pick out for myself. If the item is a garment for me to wear, is it going to be something that I can slide into my wardrobe with ease, or will it only work with X pair of shoes worn with Y skirt and stockings? Do I want to make it because I think it's cute or it's a new technical challenge, because I like the way the model wears it, or because I think that *I* would wear it? Should I instead identify the "gaps" in my wardrobe (ahem, black cardigan) and focus on those types of things?
I can think of a lot of knitting projects that I've made because of the Joy of the Process, things that maybe have been worn once or twice. I'm thinking of my Turtleneck Shrug, my Holiday Halter from Hell, some silly hats... I guess I need to look at my stash and my project plans and be honest with myself: why am I doing this? Could I be knitting for pleasure AND knitting a useful item at the same time? Should I maybe cut back on the number of lace shawls that I knit and never wear? (Oh hell no, that'll never happen.)
Anyway. I guess this means I won't be knitting a uterus anytime soon.
Tuesday, August 07, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
I think the more impractical the finished object, the more likely I am to make it. Witness: Cathode, Peony shrug, the red Vogue sweater of doom. Let's be honest: no climate is appropriate for short-sleeved bulky knits, but aren't they cute? I think the 1x per year I wear these ridiculous things is totally worth it.
i'll wear your lace shawls!!! pick me!!!
I LOVE MY SOCKS!! THEY are totally awesomea nd fit PERFECTLY!!!!! I am one happy bunny!!!!
So thank you awesome sock pal!
ps I gave you an award!
what? your not going to be knitting a uterus? why? It will so come in handy! Really, won't it?
@amanda cathleen: it should be noted that I'm not really "using" the one I already have, so wouldn't knitting another, possibly even more barren uterus be an exercise in denial (at worst) or cheekiness (at best)?
Post a Comment