
Look at how much yarn is left! The original ball was 100g, definitely enough for this one pair of socks, but maybe even enough for another pair... maybe of little toe-up anklets? I think I might try some, or grab some other stashy yarn and make some stripey things. The yarn itself is a sort of mottled jeans-blue, so I might save some to make little pants to go with all the little sweaters that I dream of knitting. I don't know why knitting miniatures appeals to me, maybe it's my inner spinster awakening.
I could not stop myself from buying this:

It is Mountain Colors Bearfoot in colorway Obsidian, and sat on the shelf at the LYS for weeks taunting me. I would pick it up and carry it around, and then put it back saying "If it's here next time, I'll buy it." This happened a few times and I realised I was really pushing my luck by putting it back on the shelf over and over. I didn't really NEED the yarn but knew I would regret it if I didn't buy it eventually. There is no other colorway that is more perfect for me. I guess that makes me seem sort of "gothie" but I'm not, really. The goth look just seems to flatter me. *shrug*
I swatched yesterday for the Interlocking Rings top and have yet to be satisfied. The swatch that meets gauge seems too "open" a fabric to me, but the swatch I like is too tightly knit to come near the gauge called for in the pattern. I could rewrite the pattern to fit my preferred swatch, but then I think I might run out of yarn. I think I will just knit the more open, and gauge-correct, fabric for the actual piece, and suck it up. It would have helped to use the yarn called for, but then it would have also cost about twice as much. I am also experiencing some size confusion: the smallest size is 31" and the next size is 35". 35" fits me nicely for most things, especially if I am going bra-less (let's get this straight: I hate bras and set myself free of the danged things about 2 years ago). If I do end up knitting the more open fabric then I will need to wear something (say, a bra?) under the top, which means a 35" would then be a bit loose since the foundation garments tend to reduce my general measurements through their amazing holding-in capabilities... not to mention the fact that 35" around my waist would be several inches too many. I am already resigned to inserting some waist-shaping into the pattern but I am not prepared to agonize over which size to make. [grr!! I need mindless knitting NOW!] I don't know if the solution is to make the 31" size, or maybe it might be too small? Better a Foxy Red Top be too small than too large, though. I worry, then, if the open fabric might be stretched to a too-open mesh at key points of the anatomy. See where this is all headed? Probably the stash pile, at this rate. :P
No comments:
Post a Comment