Tuesday, July 19, 2005

birthday booty

First, let's start the post with some things that required absolutely zero effort on my part: birthday presents.

My partner in crime is such a sweetie, she got me some nice things for my birthday this year (even if we didn't get to have a Rockford dinner together like last year). My first yarn-gift came already made:



If I were cool I could tell you which book contains the pattern for the bottle cozy, but I'm not that cool. I think it's called Simple Knits for the Home or something like that. Anyway, the yarn is Berroco Hip Hop, and concealed beneath the bottle cozy is... a bottle!! A bottle of what? Stolichnaya Razberi! I had just bought one from the sto' so I am now pressed to drink that one up so that I can enjoy my birthday bottle as soon as possible. Good thing I just bought a pack of Blenheim's Ginger Ale!

She also got me three balls of Artful Yarns Portrait in the Karen Colorway:



Some who know this lovely lady might also know that she made herself a Perfect Pie Shawl (from everyone's favorite knitting pr0n book, Weekend Knitting by Melanie Falick) out of this same yarn in a lovely purpley-green mix (and I think also in blue?). I too feel the call of the Perfect Pie Shawl, especially since I have some leftover Jaggerspun Zephyr in ruby red to use as the lace edging. Otherwise I might try to use it for a simple feather-and-fan scarf, because I seem to be the ONLY knitter on earth who hasn't made a feather-and-fan scarf. Not that I don't like that pattern (though I prefer to think of it as "Old Shale;" that's the same thing, right?) but I have just never "gotten around to it." I am still scarfless after passing my red entrelac Odyssey scarf to my mommy. I will try to get a picture of that sometime, because I'd hate for everyone to miss that one! It really is pretty, and has totally sold me on Reynolds Odyssey: I think I might buy more in the fall to make something else.

Next up is a birthday gift from a non-knitter who clearly pays attention when I am cursing the yarn that gets stuck in the zipper of my red rockstar knitting bag:



This bag is HUGE! Included was a note about how there are NO ZIPPERS on this one so it is meant to be my new knitting bag. It also has three pockets stitched into its lining: muy helpful. It is more than big enough to hold what I am working on today:



Oh, gracious! Could it be? Could it be that I am finished with the knitting of Lucky? Do I really just have the seaming left to do? It turns out that I actually don't mind seaming, so I have already completed the raglan sleeve seams and part of the neckband. I am having issues at present with making the neckband pull the sweater in enough so that I don't end up with the famous "boatneck effect" that other Lucky knitters have experienced. I tried what had been suggested elsewhere: putting Lucky on and pinning the neckband while wearing it, then seaming. I don't know how anyone expects me to do that: since when did I sprout five extra arms? I think some people have really really understanding husbands or something, because I am NOT capable of wearing and pinning at the same time. I think I will throw caution to the wind and try seaming the neckband to the sleeve tops and back by just easing in the fabric evenly as I go: I will then try it on and see. I've got the other seams pinned up to help me with fitting, but I do not enjoy being poked by pins!! Otherwise, my Lucky is ADORABLE!

I am sort of babbly and incoherent today because I had jury duty today: I was so worried I'd oversleep and miss it that I did not fall asleep at all, and am now paying the price. I think if I drank half a beer right now I'd pass right out. However, I did get some good sock-knitting in while waiting around. I had all but forgotten about Retro Rib Redux, and today was reminded what a pleasant pattern it is. Do knit it!

3 comments:

gray la gran said...

oh, you ARE a lucky girl, with such lovely friends! i look forward to you finishing MY lucky sweater. it's been a long, painful, relationship, full of anticipation, waiting for my sweater to be finished :) i don't know if i can hang with you anymore, i think i will feel awfully frumpy with my big saggy linen bag vs. your new knitting bag. mine doesn't have zippers, but, it's not as stylish as yours. (pout!) rendezvous tomorrow to show off your bag?

scarlet said...

I am a lucky girl! Maybe I will see you tomorrow and we can talk about how lucky we are! Closing again, so probably no Mojo date. :P

Anonymous said...

hey pink! i want to make a wine bottle cozy like this Hip Hop one -- do you remember who the author of the book was?