Saturday, August 27, 2005

Cable8 disaster

Let's just say that I can't get a photo that does justice to the disaster that is the finished Cable8 top. I'm glad I didn't get to the ends-woven-in point before realising that this yarn will only see the out-of-doors again if I rip out this project and reknit the yarn. The yarn rocks. I'm sure the pattern would work for someone else. But for me, it looks terrible, fits funny, and looks like CRAAAAAAAAAAAAP! I had some niggling suspiciions while knitting, and they are sadly confirmed. Loose chunky knit = no. Obvious seams = no. Assymetrical cable pattern = no. What was I thinking? The upside is that the knitting part of the project took very little time, and the yarn did not cost very much. I think the yarn will enjoy being remade into a light summer sweater, but I'll now have to calculate how much usable yarn I've got and what I can make with that. But a Cable8 top it will NOT be.

In the meantime I've been consoling myself with the Retro Rib Redux pair of socks, which is now, finally, a pair and not a single sock. I started these babies so long ago... I'm chugging away on sock two and hope to finish soon, so I can start another pair o' sox. I'm still feeling vaguely uninspired by the projects I've got waiting, so I think I'll bust into one of my grab-bags of yarn and start a top-down something. I suppose that would require thought, but maybe what I need is a lot of stockinette and absolutely no pattern reading. I must admit, this Cable8 experience has kind of got me down on knitting in general. So don't expect any fabulous shots of lush lace or intricate Fair Isle anytime soon. :P

2 comments:

gray la gran said...

hey pinky, cheer up! don't knit anything that has to fit --- like a christmas stocking, or dishcloths.

gray la gran said...

you are the wind beneath my wings!