I am thinking of cutting it lengthwise, like a steek, and inserting a panel that will increase the circumference to a more accomodating size. I am also thinking of using a dear reader's suggestion of using braided ribbons as a strap, and taking it further: lacing the ribbon up the length of my serendipitous new steek instead of inserting a panel of fabric. This might be the fastest, and therefore most likely, method of fixing my problem. I still feel like a dork for over-felting, especially when the whole time the washer was going I was thinking "If I don't stop this every other minute it will shrink too much." However, the stripes look great and I think I might use the rest of the yarn collection (still a lot left over) to make another similarly-striped tote, but one for books instead of mats. And if that overfelts then I can use it for my iPod.
O My iPod! I love it.
I have finished Jaywalker #1!

The pooling on the foot is irksome enough to prevent from staying up late to cast on for the second sock. I am honestly very disappointed in the way it worked out. Maybe the second sock will be different, and maybe not, but either way, I still like the socks and as long as I keep the foot tucked inside shoes I won't be too upset.
Last weekend I could no longer resist the urge to cast on for the Peacock Feathers shawl by Fiddlesticks.

At first I balked at the price of the pattern (nine dollars!) but I had to have it anyway: it is simply gorgeous! I know that wherever I wear this (or the recipient wears it) it will attract attention. When I received the pattern in the mail, I found out why the price is higher than for most other patterns: because this pattern is superior. The writing is clear and thorough, and the charts are large so that they are easy to read. This is no two-page quickie. After reading about grumperina's recent agony over a poorly-written shawl pattern, I am ever so much more appreciative of the quality of the Peacock Feathers pattern.
To give you an idea of how far I am in the pattern, the knitted portion that you see (in moss green alpaca laceweight from KnitPicks) is the bit of shawl that you see in the pattern picture that is all scrunched up around the neck. As in, I have only just begun. I am loving the yarn, though, so not only is the knitting pleasurable, but KnitPicks yarn is redeemed in my eyes. The Essential sockyarn still blows, but their other yarns are okay by me.
There are two non-knitting points to be made in this post:
1. Congrats to ninecherries and the arrival of her new son! (He's a whole day old by now.)
2. Congrats to me, who received a rosemary-scented two-hour full-body massage this afternoon! I feel "gooey," but in the good way. After all the job drama and boy drama and drama drama, I really think I deserved this completely decadent treat. I will continue the love by attending knit-knite for the first time in many weeks, where I am sure there will be tasty treats and lots of fun talk about life, love, and knitting! I sure do miss my knitting friends on Tuesdays.
6 comments:
I say steek, punch some holes, and lace it up like a shoe. I've seen on the few blogs that the STR definitely pools but most people love it anyway.
I fought the Ipod thing for a long time but I swear my Ipod has changed my life.
hmmm. 1) i say knit a stripe strip, but with the colors worked in the opposite direction of the tote, and stitch that in. felted or not, it will be the same colors and change the direction of things. 2) cut your mat smaller! yeah, i know #2 is not terribly helpful, but i woke up on the wrong side of the bed.
in the infamous words of olivia newton john, when will i see you again?
oooh, peacock shawl. i'd forgotton about 'ole peacock. and when did you sneak off and get more knitpicks yarn?!
That sock is so pretty. I don't think the pooling detracts from it at all. And the lacing idea for the bag gets my vote. I've never seen a mat bag with lacing; yours will be an original.
Massage sounds real good...
do you know what i think? i think you were sippin' some wine or some scotch, and forgot you were felting! yep. that's what happened. see you tomorrow!
the sock looks beautiful! mm, and the peacock feathers will certainly be divine. i've been on a green kick lately, which makes me lust after your moss. just finished a many-greened flower basket shawl, which i would like to make you pet by stopping by the store...but i can't, because you now have a real job! congratulations!
hey, if you're free this tuesday evening at 7, you should come over to my house with lisa for some knitting fun, and booze. craft night has been resurrected from the depths.
doesn't jaywalker #1 fit?
Post a Comment