GUNS! No, not the pow-pow! kind, but the "have you been working out?" variety. This slang is probably already out of date, because if I am aware of it then that means it's made its rounds months ago. (Apparently all neologisms now come from hip-hop, a genre with which I am out of touch. "Guns" may or may not be a hip-hopism.) But anyway, the other day one of my friends stopped in midsentence and said "DAYYUM girl, look at the guns on you!" and pointed to my arms.
Let's face it, kids, I'm growing more muscular. And that means: eating. I know I don't eat as well as I should, but I noticed a couple weeks ago that my guns were aching and not like they do when you strain them or overuse them. They ached with a distinct cry of "FEED US!" So now I am working hard to incorporate more protein into my life, usually by eating tofu blocks with dipping sauce. I've never really paid much attention to my protein intake, other than to note that as a vegetarian I probably don't get as much as other people and probably not enough altogether. Since my diet reforms have been enacted, my arms don't hurt. I just need to keep with it. Also, I've been trying to get away from the prepackaged convenience crap that I've become accustomed to over the past few years. While they are handy, they very rarely satisfy and probably aren't as nutritional. Also, they are EXPENSIVE! If you buy the Fair-Trade Organic Free-Range Etc Etc kind, which is what I buy because that's how I eat. So, to save money I am attempting to cook at home more often, and bring my lunch to work instead of jetting off to the scrumptious Indian lunch buffet down the street. (There was paneer in the navratan korma today! It was SO good.) Anyhoo, all this talk of food is making my mouth water somethin' crazy. Time to eat the tofu!
p.s. any suggestions for recipes or dietary changes are welcome. I'd especially appreciate any ideas for jazzing up the chickpeas and lentils. And my nemisis: tempeh.
Monday, April 10, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
when it's warm out, i really like making what i call "chickpea surprise."
the "chickpea" part is there because they pack a lot of protein and are good straight from the can.
the "surprise" part is because you get to add whatever you can find in your cabinet/fridge to make them tasty.
for example, you can add some, all or none of these:
spinach, brocolli, onions, curry powder, every spice imaginable, raisins, sprouts, carrots, nuts, seeds, or whatever else is hanging out in your fridge/cabinet that needs to be eaten soon or it will spoil.
and some lemon tahini dressing or olive oil/balsamic vinegar to make it "work" as actual food.
can either be heated up or eaten good. the more creative the better. could i *be* any more vague?
x
Post a Comment