Tuesday, July 11, 2006

from the mailbag

A few answers to questions posed by my fun-loving, thrill-seeking readers.

Hempwise

Q: Do you have any experience with pre-washing the hanks to make them softer for knitting?

A: I'd never considered prewashing the hanks but if you can wash up yarn recycled from old sweaters I don't see why you can't wash up some hemp before you knit it. Some knitters, including me, have resorted to wrapping bandages around the knuckles to protect the fingers. The hemp from hempforknitting.com has never really posed a problem for me, although the hemp I've gotten from craft stores (apparently made for beadwork) was quite a bit rougher.

Q: Where did you get the patterns you used?

A: I used the Terrific Tank pattern from the above website, using the Lanaknits hemp sold there. I used the leftover balls to make two string bags: one shopping bag using a faggoting stitch, and one yoga bag using the pattern found in Stitch and Bitch Nation. As Lana has expanded her yarn line to include different colors, blends, and weights, more patterns have appeared in such places as Interweave Knits, and I have some in the stash for one of those long-sleeve pullover patterns.

I would use hemp for any pattern calling for linen or linen blends, and probably for most patterns that call for a cotton (or cotton-blend) yarn that produces a pliable, drapey fabric. (I probably would not use it for a stiff, structured handbag, or a hat with a brim.) The crochet fabric might be stable enough for these items but I haven't tried it.

Not about Hemp


Q: How's the shawl coming along?

A: Oooh, that reminds me, I'm working on a shawl, aren't I? I confess, I haven't worked on my Amazing Lace project in a while, because I don't like it very much. And the yarn breaking just made me want to stuff it in a corner for a while. I should knit on it. Someday.

Noodlewise

Q: Will someone please explain to me why i don't eat there everyday?

A: Maybe because they are expensive? At least, I guess they are to me. I suppose for dinner it's not so bad. But really, I think that the chance to ogle the bartender is included in the price of the food. So why weren't more people sitting at the bar last night? So if you want to eat there more often, and want some company, call me.

Q: Why don't you talk to Mr. Bartender?

A: I am S-H-Y. Maybe if he fixed me a couple more margaritas I would be able to talk to him. (Yes, this is an Asian restaurant that serves margaritas, but! they are flavored with ginger and basil. One has the pleasure of watching the bartender muddle the basil forcefully while preparing the drink. Never has basil-muddling been so delightful to see.)

1 comment:

gray la gran said...

your posts always make me smile. thanks!

and as for the hemp, i knitted three of those terrific tanks, and i love them, and i wore bandaids while knitting them.