Monday, July 16, 2007

as ye knit so shall ye rip

It won't come as news to any of my diligent readers that my Cable Down Raglan has provided me with little more than annoyance, except for all the exercise running up the stairs to get the next ball of yarn. (If anything, it knits up quickly, even with the cables. I could bring the whole bag of yarn downstairs with me, but that only makes sense NOW, after I've knit eight of ten balls.) However I knit a little more on it this weekend, because the only way to find out if you have enough yarn for a project is to keep knitting it. (Yeah I could weigh my yarn but I don't think that works in this case.) The only way to get to the end of a project is to keep knitting it. As my friend Eric likes to say, when he knows it will annoy me, "Nothing to it but to do it."

And after a number of rounds I realized that I had so many feelings of hate all knit up into this poor, innocent garment that there was no detergent strong enough to wash it all out. Yessir, I was never EVER going to wear this rag, even if I had enough yarn for it, even if I finished it to perfection. I just plain HATED this sweater, and it had nothing to do with the pattern or with the yarn, I just never enjoyed it and, come to think of it, it's not even my style. What was I thinking?

So I tabled the project for a day, and thought about it, and so have purchased the Something Red pattern from Knit and Tonic, and some evening soon I'll be standing in my living room, cackling with glee as I rip the fuck out of that Cable Damn Raglan. And hooray, my Something Red will actually be red!

In other Knit and Tonic news, I cast on yesterday for a Dream Swatch Head Scarf, which is the trifecta of Things I Don't Normally Do: wear scarves on my head, buy idiotically expensive handpainted silk yarn, and like anything by Wendy Bernard. But as you can see, I've fallen for the Something Red, too, so maybe this stone-cold heart can change. But watch it, Wendy, you'll never be Evelyn Clark to me.

Pictures someday.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

you will look awesome in something red-- *and* you will love making it b/c her patterns are so dang easy. you won't even have to watch out for her wonky sleeve tapering!

Anonymous said...

ahhh a sweater of hate, good thing you frogged it and got the power back :0)