Monday, August 06, 2007

socken-pal socks... in the mail!

sockpal sockens

Just in case you guys thought I was skating on my Sockpal Duties... I have to say, I had a dickens of a time finding postcards for Durham, NC. Is this city really not noteworthy enough for people to want to send postcards from it? I was able to find some cards that weren't about Duke University, but ended up buying a Dookie one anyway because Duke Chapel is so gorgeous. I also bought one for North Carolina Central University, because that's a good school too and its presence in town is too frequently overlooked.

sockenpal socks

Can you see the faux-picot edge peeking out over my jeans? That's what happens when you try to rip out a too-tight tubular cast-on, but the rib stitches are all twisted so you end up not being able to rip very far but you get this funny (and stretchy) picot-lookin' edge. I have another pair of socks with a tight cast-on that I might try to redo in this fashion as well.

Last week I sent off the socks in a pretty little package along with some North Carolina Moravian Spice cookies (I wanted to send BBQ sauce but I didn't trust that a jar of that would make the trip in one piece). My sockpal's feet have similar measurements as mine, so I think they will fit her, and I hope she likes the yarn and pattern I chose. I can't wait until she gets them!

In other knit-news, I have abandoned all my WIPs to work on my Something Red, although I call it Something Stupid because I like that song. ("And then I go and spoil it all by saying something stupid like 'I love you.'") So poor socks, poor shawl, poor scarf, poor vest, poor WIPs, one and all, you have been thrown over for the hot new project in town. I know I will return to them soon, when I come to the inevitable time when I have to decide to make the sleeves either elbow-length or bracelet-length. I have enough yarn to make longer sleeves and sort of rather would use up the yarn I've got instead of having two little balls festering in my stash. However, one of the things that originally drew me to this pattern was the shorter sleeves. They said to me "You can throw me on over a little sundress and I'll be light enough for summer wear but substantial enough to keep you from looking like you're just wearing a sundress." I guess I can always push the sleeves up or something. Why am I even wasting my time thinking about this?

In not-knit news, I have been freaking out over things British for some reason. This is not actually news, since I have been an admitted Anglophile all my life, but these days I only want to watch British TV, rent British movies, and read British books. What gives? Is this my subconcious telling me something? By the way, if you have any recommendations for me, for which books/TV/films to look for next, please leave them in the comments!

4 comments:

Knitnik said...

A sweater light enough for summer wear in NC - surely you jest! It was 98 yesterday and will be 98 today - the only reason I'm wearing clothes at all is because work makes me! Gorgeous monkeys, btw!

Unknown said...

I think you should keep the sleeves short. I also think you should rent House of Eliott: The sheltered Eliott sisters, Beatrice and Evangeline, suddenly find themselves alone and penniless when their dodgy father dies. In response, Bea and Evie launch an ambitious dressmaking business in the heart of 1920s London.

gray la gran said...

maybe it's time we go ahead and get our yarnarific flat !

Anonymous said...

lovely, lovely socks! The colorway is beautiful, what a lucky pal!