Sunday, February 20, 2005

A Great Reason to Buy More Red Yarn!

I have knit for charities before, but it always seems like I'm sending my knitted goods into a void since I never hear back about whether or not the items were received, or where they were donated, etc. [The grand exception to this was the getcrafty holiday scarf drive two winters ago; good organization meant that my donation of scarves + hats were acknowledged and donated appropriately.]

After becoming a wee bit jaded by the knit-an-afghan-square-for-afghans project that never amounted to anything, I'm surprised to be FIRED UP about The Red Scarf Project. Sure, it's partly because there's red yarn involved, and partly because the project is spearheaded by a fellow North Cackalackian. And a scarf? How hard can that be? That seems to be ALL I ever knit these days (I guess to make up for the fact that I never made the requisite beginning-knitter garter stitch rectangle). I have emailed the project organizer to see if she is still accepting donatoins of handmade scarves. I might try to drum up some support from my tuesdayknite knitting group, like I did for the aforementioned getcrafty drive, but I think I could easily crank out a couple red scarves on my own. As mentioned above (and perhaps below) I love to buy red yarn! My very first swatch is from blood-red Red Heart (oh the cardiac pun-fun).

Speaking of scarves of red, I am a knitter without a scarf. I have 2 (two) scarves in my possession: a crocheted Homespun scarf scored on a nervousness.org exchange, and a brown tweed weave I found in a lost-and-found at an old job. I knit myself an entrelac scarf of red Reynolds Odyssey, partly because the yarn SCREAMED my name whenever I came near it, and I found myself carrying it around yarn shops on visits to buy other (less wonderful) yarns. My mom, bless her little heart, confessed at Christmas that she really, REALLY liked my red Odyssey scarf. What can I say? She's the only Mom I've got, she's most of the time my best friend ever, and I can always make another scarf... I gave her the scarf last Thursday while she was in town visiting with my dad. She LOVED it! She was so surprised, I can't even believe how surprised she was considering she spent most of Christmas day wearing it. So I am now without a scarf to really call My Own. Which means... another yarn purchase. My scarf-yarn lust is now for Goddess Yarns Julia (although, Odyssey, I still love you, and your Classic reference).

No comments: