
Then I got to go to ACMoore to buy some Patons Classic Wool to adorn my Accidental Beau Hat.

I can sense your anticipation of my explanation of the hat's name. Well, when one makes a hat for one's beau without swatching, without measuring the head, and just plain "winging it" because it worked in the past... sometimes one's beau might mention in a not-complaining-really way that his hat is too big for his head. Would one offer to put the non-superwash wool hat into the washer to give it a "bit of a shrink"? One might. Ought one, though? Perhaps if one wants to felt it so much that it now fits an entirely different head... like, MINE! To be honest, when I sent it through the first go-'round in the wash, it was only shrinking length-wise (anticipated) but not AT ALL circumference-wise (NOT anticipated) and at that point it was achieving a length-circumference ratio that was, plainly put, unmanly. I figured I'd just end up cutting the felted fabric into shapes for some other purpose later on, and threw it in the wash a second time. And thus the hat came to fit ME almost perfectly (a wee bit small). Now that it's a grey-green helmet-looking thing, it is crying out for some cute little flowers to adorn it. And that required a yarn purchase. Yes, I know that this was actually the moment where I could efficiently REDUCE my stash. But I think that all along I was trying to create a reason to buy all the pretty colors of Patons Classic Wool. Their color palette just screams my name, even the yellow[not shown]! Fortunately I am armed with Nicky Epstein's Knitted Embellishments, an awesomely inspiring book, which will help me decide what kind of pretty flowers to make for the hat.
Meanwhile, at a wine bar near you, progress on Clapotis continues:

This pattern is indeed addictive! I am having so much fun making this, and am pleased to discover that I will probably only need two balls of the Bamboo to make a nicely sized Clappy. That means.... an extra ball? I think it might make a really cute crocheted bucket hat. Not that I've ever made anything like that, but I know it can be done, and I have the skills. My only other idea is somehow turning it into a backless summer top, which is much sluttier than a hat and thus not really "my style." But this is supposed to be The Girlie Year, right?
p.s. I am totally dying to start casting on for some socks. I haven't made any socks in almost a YEAR and it feels weird! I don't really have any "portable" knitting projects right now (like something I can work on while walking around town). Looks like socks are going to be the next WIP.
No comments:
Post a Comment