
...but trouble arose when seaming the shoulders. I ignored the ugliness and went on to pick up and knit the neckband AND the two armbands. It was only after I did all THAT that I decided not to seam the sides yet, because I HATE the shoulder seams. I'd show you how funny they look, but we're talking serious shame here. I knew that the only person who might not point out how weird they look would be my dad, because even though he notices everything, he doesn't necessarily bother to point out wonkiness. So, I've tabled the issue for now. Maybe I'll just pick out the shoulder seams and resew them, because I don't think it will affect the neck- and arm-bands, but maybe it will. I don't want to think about it anymore!!
On to something that actually DID work: the Teva Turtle Shrug:

Yeah, that's me, don't laugh. I was just figuring out how to use the self-timer on my camera. This shrug is actually really warm, and the only thing it's really not suited for is doing dishes. You can see that I made the sleeves pretty darned long, because I didn't want them to appear truncated in the event that I wore the shrug as a scarf:

Wearing the shrug in this way reminds me that the designer probably chose a mohair yarn for a reason: lots of warmth without a ton of weight and bulk. Let's face it, when I wear this as a scarf, I am coping with seven 50g balls of wool yarn wrapped around my neck. I recommend mohair to anyone who wants to make this shrug! Otherwise I'm really pleased with it. So warm!
So what else is going on? I almost through knitting my first 100g ball of bamboo yarn for Clapotis... Agent Gray was kind enough to meet me last Friday for some knitting + beer, and our projects became fast friends:

[My Clap-in-Progress with her Rowan Summer Tweed Cardi-in-Progress. You can see a teensy photo of the cardi off on the righthand side of the frame.] When two projects complement each other so well, it kind of makes you want to wear them together. Would that violate a rule, though?
My rule is NO MORE than three handknits on at any one time, unless I'm really cold and at home where no one can see me. We have touched upon this subject at my knitting group, and I must confess that others seem to be a little more generous in how many projects they will allow themselves to put together. I guess my thing is that I don't really have more than three completed projects that would actually go well together. The Teva shrug and the legwarmers: no problem. But add some socks and things get weird. A hat? What hat do I have that would match? There's no way I would permit myself to clash in public.
No comments:
Post a Comment