Tuesday, January 17, 2006

a little bit of hooray

Today has been topsy-turvy, thanks in part to my sleeping in until almost THREE! I have been fighting illness for the past week, so I think I needed all that sleep. I bolted from my bed, though, and got to work, as I had a pretty full day of errands ahead.

Here I sit with all my errands done (except "#6: Buy beer.") and am ready to get down to knitting... and remember that I have to pay bills first, which leads to cleaning the desk, which leads to washing the dishes. Ack! I just can't stop DOING! I need a minute alone with my needles, I think.



A few stitches here and there mean that I am ever closer to finishing Lack of Safety Culture. Above is a shot of all the pieces, minus the last sleeve. Directly after taking the shot I knit the sleeve, cast off, and set the thing to blocking. A few days later I found the time to sew the cabled border onto the hem of the body and begin the applied-I-cord edging.



Again, a few stitches every day will put me closer and closer to a finished project. Now that I can try it on, I have determined that it is, erm, too BIG. I think I have an body-size image problem, because I always think I am bigger around that I really am. Scratch that, what I mean is "I know my measurements, I just can't figure out the amount of ease I prefer." Back in high school I wore all my clothes really baggy, and so this sweater would have fit into my "style" of that time. Nowadays, inexplicably, I have moved towards more form-fitting clothes that feature what is called "negative ease." So, I have quickly become the girl that I used to make fun of: the one in the tight shirt. What can I say? I hate having huge amounts of loose fabric hanging off me. That's the kind of thing that gets caught in machinery! I could lose a limb! So, I should be careful of wearing this sweater around the factory floor, but otherwise it will just be a "roomy, comfy weekend sweater." I really wished it would be more sophisticated, but how sleek and chic can GREY TWEED be? I'm sure that once I get everything finished and ends woven in (and zipper sewn: EEK!!) I will love this sweater. I will also have about two balls left over, approximately 200 yards, which means: garter-ridge mitts!! Maybe a hat. Maybe both. I am fairly secure about the size of my hands, head, and feet: pretty damned small.

Work on all else has ground to a halt as I slave away on two things: applying for jobs, and the blue alpaca watchcap for Boy. Both are scary things, since I barely know what I'm doing for either endeavor, and am hoping that a little fudging and guesstimation will produce satisfactory results.

1 comment:

gray la gran said...

i love how my sweater is coming along ;)