Monday, January 09, 2006

weakness, strength

Folks, I've had a few moments of weakness. I'll admit it. Retail therapy is sometimes most satisfying when it's not trying to make up for some loss or emptiness in one's life... buying stuff for the sake of buying stuff. Mind you, I don't do this often. I sometimes get the urge to run to Target and buy a cheap dress just to have something different to not-wear, but I don't ever actually go. I've learned on enough occasions that most cheap impulse-purchase clothing ends up falling to bits or getting chucked in the charity box.

[That having been said, I did take two really large boxes to the charity shop the other day in an effort to "de-clutter," not that I think it made any difference in the overall appearance of clutter here.]

So, last week I went to the record shop to buy "a CD" and walked out with four. Spot the themes if you will: Lady Sovereign, The Streets, The Rosebuds, The Comas. Oh well. I can't be original all the time. Anyway, I feel pretty good about the purchases although I think listening to the hip-hop is exacerbating any ludicrous notions I have of being "cool," "edgy," or "with-it." I should accept the fact that I'm white and my main thing is KNITTING.

So I bought some yarn, because I am SICK of seeing other bloggers talk about how much they love their Socks That Rock sock yarn. Now that I've made the purchase (about five minutes old at this point) I'm beginning to think "that's a lot for a couple pairs of socks!" Whatever. Once I get the package in the mail I'll be insane with joy. I provided myself with two colorways to drool over in person: Fire on the Mountain and Falcon's Eye. Fire on the Mountain looks suspiciously like The Uber-Skein, so I have been lusting after it for a few months already. Falcon's Eye is a gently, tolerably variegated greyish green that I think will knit up nicely with some textured stitching. I don't know why I did it. I don't need more yarn. What was I thinking? Was it because PayPal is so easy that I didn't even have to get up to find the credit card? Should I have hesitated for even a moment???

I have succumbed to this weakness, I believe, because I have been otherwise so STRONG. Readers, kind readers, I admit that I have been working diligently and have avoided the temptation to cast on for anything new until Sufficient Progress is Made on Existing Projects. Can you believe it? I have that sparkly Kidsilk Night glittering at me from the ottoman (where it sits displaying its glory to the passers-by) and I have been, so far, able to resist its charms. "C'mon, just a little casting on... just for the lacy bottom border. C'mon, just a few inches. Forget your cabled scarf!"

Now, in order to keep the Stash Cosmos on an even keel, I must finish one project and cast on for a new one before the newest yarn purchase finds its way to my house! Must knit!

1 comment:

gray la gran said...

mom was showing me her receipt from kohl's the other day. she went shopping there sometime around christmas .... she got A LOT of stuff, and she said it felt sooooo goooood to do it. i told her, "that's retail therapy".
i, on the other hand, have had the same window open with my shopping cart to knitpicks. why haven't i just pushed the "proceed to checkout" button? i am a poor poor shopper. i can't wait to see your new yarn. you must bring it directly to me! you must bring it unopened, and we will open it together!!!! pretty please?!