Friday, January 06, 2006

yarn joy!

I know you're probably already sick of the ABC-along, so I'm sorry if my "A" entry made anyone uncomfortable. The only A words I could think of were alcohol and albatross, and I couldn't find an albatross to take a picture of.

I did, however, come into some yarn today, so I should show that off so that you can feel as happy as I do!

Agent Gray wins the Friend of the Week prize, for two reasons.



Real friends give each other the yarns they need. I have been waiting for black Kidsilk Night (a new treat by Rowan) to come back to the LYS so that I can make the famous Butterfly lace camisole. (I could try to make it out of my leftover KSH in dark-red "liqueur" but I am about a fifth of a ball short, and a fifth of a KSH ball is like 100 yards.) If you have not yet encountered KS Night, I will tell you about it. It's the same silky-soft gossamer kid mohair you may or may not love, with a sparkly metallic thread wrapped around the core. That's the bright spots you see in the picture. Now, I am total sucker for this kind of thing, even though I'm actually more of a tweed-and-corduroy person. I guess in my head I still go out for martinis with the girls on Tuesdays and barhop with the boys on Saturdays. Now that knitting has entered my life, I spend those nights knitting the things I'd wear if I were going out instead. Oh well. Maybe I'll suddenly develop a teenage niece who knits and would appreciate all the sexy, glittery eveningwear I'd make for her. Maybe one can rent such a person?

(I can see Agent Gray pressing the Comment button now, volunteering to be my appreciative knitter niece.)

Speaking of Gray, the second reason she is Friend of the Week is that she asked the always-important question that any single girl must ask her own self regarding her love of a man: Is he sponge-worthy? (Either you get it or you don't.) So instead of dropping a lot of money on some cashmere to make a hat for big-headed orange-headed Boy, I decided that he was sponge-worthy in some ways, and therefore deserved a handknit custom-made hat, but perhaps not one made of cashmere. So I found some gorgeous alpaca instead.



This yarn, besides being supersoft, is made up of about a million different shades of blue, purple, and turquoise, so no matter how "K2P2K2P2..." this hat may end up being, I'll never be bored. I bought an extra skein, so that I can use whatever's left over from the hat to make a wee something for me. Again, the garter-stitch wrist warmers from Weekend Knitting Porn come to mind. I may as well make some. Two pairs simply aren't enough!

I have worn the Blackly Waving Lace socks to work for the past few days and I must say I like them a lot!! No one has pointed at my feet in wonder and amazement, but sometimes the joy of handknit socks is that they are all about the wearer's pleasure, secret as it may be. I'm not sure if it's the yarn or the unseasonably warm weather (mid-60s) but my feet get sort of sweaty in these socks. Maybe I'm just used to wicky-wicky cotton socks. To continue the sock-love, I cast on for a new pair using the Strompegarn Silja that my Secret Pal sent me last summer.



This proves that I depend on Interweave Press for all my sock-pattern needs; if I can't get it from the print magazine then I'll print it off the internets. This uncompelling photo shows my small progress. I have knit about an inch so far and already am not happy with the results. I think this is a case of a nice yarn and a nice pattern not really going well together. Chances are I will maybe knit another few rounds and examine the situation then. I don't want to rip just yet, but I feel the chances are good that I will. But what then?



There will always be the Here and There Cables Scarf. I am on Ball Five of this one, which means I should be done soon. Knitting cables on size US4s means that the going is slow, but it is also easy to pick up and put down when I am "in between" projects otherwise. I'm in no hurry to get this done but it would be nice to see it finished someday! So while I decide about what to cast on for next, I'll cable away on this project.

2 comments:

Laura said...

I love the look of the KidSilk! You may have convinced me to give it a try. Since nobody seems to have signed up, I'll be your niece. :) And that pink scarf is so pretty. The cables look really complicated. I liked the alcohol post- very introspective and interesting reading. I know the rest of your abc posts will be equally enjoyable. Do you think they'd mind if unofficially joined in?

gray la gran said...

i don't need to be your niece, since i'm already your girlfriend ;)
inspired by your solid socks, i cast-on yesterday some solid stash yarn. now, it is stash, but i keep having fantasies about some fresh sock yarn ... like, how much nicer the sock would look knitted in cocoa vs. chalk. hmmm ....