Sunday, August 27, 2006

confessions

This past week, what with finishing project after project, I have been winding up a lot of yarn, leafing through IKs to pick out my next projects, and just thinking a lot about knitting and its role in my life. Now I've already come to the conclusion that I maintain a knitting weblog not for personal gratification but so that I can have a staked-out space in the grand internet knitting world. I don't think I could have joined any of the many swaps and knitalongs without this pink page you are reading here. However, why I KNIT is another matter. I've always known I was a "process knitter" who was more interested in the act of making something, and less interested in having the finished product. I don't know what would happen if, for some reason, I was suddenly unable to knit. I have plenty of other things to do. I'd miss it, but would I miss it forever? Would my mother miss her handknitted Christmas socks more than I would miss the knitting of them?

And that brings me to a confession I need to make: if everything went topsy-turvy and my stash went from x skeins back down to nothing, would I keep knitting? Yes probably, but I would probably only knit socks. I would be happy knitting nothing but socks. However I am seduced by all these cute sweaters and hats and tank tops and purses... but the only things I am ever truly happy with are the socks I knit. So why do I keep buying yarn for other things?!

One reason I haven't been doing much knitting these days, or at least the kind that is deliciously bloggable, is that I decided to return to reading as my "main hobby." I have gotten a lot of really satisfying reading done this summer, and there is a good chance that I will try to maintain this balance in my life: a little bit of knitting one night, a little bit of reading the next. So now I just need to find a way to stop thinking about when the next episode of House is going to be on. Frankly, that's how this all started. I moved into a new place with basic cable, and the next thing I knew I was watching TV all the time, and it wasn't all "TV and Knitting" either. Sometimes I was just stretched out on the couch watching whatever was on. And that's when I knew I had to intervene before my friends staged a more formal Intervention. So I will let myself have a little of everything: knitting, reading, cooking, House. [Note to Hugh Laurie: if that Bartender won't marry me, will you? Please?]

My new(ish) job is making increasing demands on my time as well, and most days I just want to open a beer, drink that beer, and go to bed. Most days that's all I've got energy for. I swear once the fall hits I will be in less of a haze and more willing to "sack up" and get organized. And I will have Mom's Christmas socks done by the time the leaves begin to turn. I guarantee it.

4 comments:

gray la gran said...

whoooo ... tv. well, i've turned my television on a few times this summer, but i am almost certain that i will be purchasing a new recorder once the fall schedule is in full swing, so i don't miss any junk i like on any of my 4 channels!
socks are so satisfying. so many possibilities w/o all that will it fit anxiety.
by the way, if you would like to recommend any good books that a certain knitty girlfriend might enjoy, feel free to send her a list! ;)
good to see you the other day!

Saun said...

You can't be in a frenzy about knitting all the time. Sometimes it's good to take a break and enjoy the other things in life. With the weather being as nice as it is who would want to sit up in the house and knit all the time. I'm sure when the holidays and cold weather come the urge to knit might grow a little more.

Laura said...

Now it's gone beyond the washing machines; how weird is all this?

Before seeing your post, yesterday I put House on our Netflix list, this morning I started on making a cheesecake, and I've been pondering making that same sweater! Twins? Mind reading? Clones?

I love your sweater; the color and fit look great. Now I can't make mine brown! ;) I've been getting back into reading too, after being shown a great library in the next town. Perhaps we will end up reading the same books?

f. pea said...

So are you going to start posting book reviews on your knitting blog? I'd read that!