Friday, October 20, 2006

a pinky sock history

Approximately eighteen years ago, Lolly asked us Socktoberfesters to share our personal sock histories. As you may have noticed, I have been exceptionally slack on the bloggy front, since my new job has sent my life into a tailspin. (That is, I have been spending all my free time reading either about the industry or playing with my SWEET new Treo phone which can take pictures and make movies and browse the web and remind me about people's birthdays. Sadly, it could not prevent me from catching the office bug, which has forced me to take both the day off and a ton of drugs.)

Here goes, kittycats!

When did you start making socks? Did you teach yourself or were you taught by a friend or relative? or in a class?
I made my first sock about nine months after I started knitting. My partner-in-crime, Gray LaGran, was instrumental in inspiring me to want to make socks, and she also demystified the whole DPN thing. It seems like a lot of people avoid socks because they are afraid of "all those needles" but if you encounter someone who makes it look easy, then the Fear of Sock never has a chance to develop. I taught myself to knit socks by following the Classic Sock pattern in Nancy Bush's Folk Socks. I recommend doing what I did, which is using a bulkier yarn to speed up the process, so one can learn the mechanics of sock-knitting without having to knit as many total stitches.

What was your first pair? How have they "held up" over time?
My first real pair:

my first pair

They are knit of Jawoll cotton-wool blend that I bought from Patternworks using one of the gift certificates that my family very smartly gives me each holiday season. I knit them to wear with my black suede Vans. In fact, nearly every sock pair I knit is made with a certain pair of shoes in mind. Anyhoo, they were soon eaten by the dog, and after crying bitter, hateful tears, I used this helpful darning tutorial to repair them. Can you spot the chewy part?

chewed-up gusset

Yes! Right at the upper portion of the gusset -- an awkward place! These socks continue to be my workhorse socks; I wore them all summer in the factory where I was working and sweating, because they were absorbent but not too-warm, and they were BRIGHT ORANGE! Where I work there are lot of people who LOVE orange.

What would you have done differently?
I would not have left them out on the floor for the dog to eat. Otherwise, they are exactly like I would have knit them now.

What yarns have you particularly enjoyed?
Some folks HATE koigu for socks, but I love it. I wonder if I would buy that yarn for any other purpose. I also like Mountain Colors Bearfoot, which makes a soft yet sturdy sock.

Do you like to crochet your socks? or knit them on DPNs, 2 circulars, or using the Magic Loop method?
I have DPNs in many different sizes, but I do have a superlong size US1 circular that I use for some sock patterns. I have found that if the pattern recommends using circs, it's because the stitch pattern (usually lace) does not divide nicely on DPNs. I stand firm in my resolution to avoid using the insane and daft term "magic loop," because I feel it is a ridiculous misnomer and if we are going to use grade-school terms then we should apply them across the board. "Magic Loop" my ass! It's a single circular, so let's call it "single circular." PLEASE!! [I was intending to write a separate post about this issue, but it seems that a lot of knitbloggers are way too touchy to deal with outright criticism. Sissies.]

Which kind of heel do you prefer? (flap? or short-row?)
I'm a flapper, but I will use a short row heel if I am knitting toe-up. I have tried the afterthought heel, and while I was once a big fan of it, I am no longer.

How many pairs have you made?
At least ten? Hmm I'll have to sort through the sock drawer and find out.

dazzling array

This photo excludes all the pairs that I have knit and given away as gifts. Yes, I do make socks for other people! That person is almost always my dear, sweet mother. She always remembers to tell me how much she loves wearing her socks, and passes along any compliments she receives. THAT is how to be a good gift recipient.

No comments: