Tuesday, January 18, 2005

pink think

Apparently I am not the only one who has mixed feelings about the color pink. I myself would not be caught dead near anything pink, starting in the seventh grade when I received my hundredth pink sweater for Christmas from my grandmother (who, it shall be noted, is never seen wearing anything but pink).

So why have I suddenly gone pink? To be honest, it started years ago with the receipt of a box of Brown Sheep Lamb's Pride in RPM Pink. This was a random act of kindness perpetrated by a fellow BookCrosser and knitter who had ripped out a non-fitting sweater and needed to get rid of the evidence. I was so overwhelmed with joy at the sweet gesture that I did not throw up at the sight of All That Pink Yarn. I finally accepted the yarn for what it was, knit some of it up into fingerless mittens (my favorite mindless project), and the rest of it up into a felted bag... the mittens were then ripped up and were made into the bag's handles. This bag is now responsible for about half of the conversations that I have with strangers, because it is SO PINK and SO BIG and frankly, totally perfect; everyone is compelled to comment.

I was still feeling a little bit of Pink Shame until I was given my 101st pink sweater, not by my grandmother, but by a fellow waitress who for some reason did not want it anymore. In a spontaneous workplace version of a Naked Lady Party, we all ended up swapping our unwanted clothing in the waitstation and I ended up with what is possibly the sexiest sweater I own. It fits very well and the V-neck is cut a little lower than I'm comfortable with, which is just a bit higher than everyone else wishes for. A few wearings of the Lindsay Sweater has converted me gently, slowly to the Pink Side.

Agent Gray and I used to joke that the most heinous Door Prize at Knitting Camp would definitely be a big bag full of pink acrylic baby yarn. Both of us pretty much feel that something like that is no prize at all. We've teased each other over the years about who was going to win the pink baby yarn, and oh what will we do with the pink baby yarn we'll win? For some perverse reason, I have become attached to this pink acrylicity. Can you tell?

p.s. The real first pinkness came when I saw a pink organza handbag in the Delia*s catalog in 1999, and I almost ordered it... but my boyfriend at the time (who ended up GAY, the hypocrite!) chided me for wanting something so pink and girlie. To this day I regret not getting that cute little bag, even though, it's true, it didn't fit at all into my then-wardrobe of the GothDominatrix. Now that I have a sewing machine, I might try to recreate it. Take that, gay boyfriend!!

1 comment:

gray la gran said...

you're just tooo cute!