Why do we knit dishcloths? Do we really need that many? My mom gives me a stack of them every Christmas; I guess she doesn't know that I'm not taking care of a family of five and am not as hard on my kitchen as she was at my age. And yet, dishcloths are knit anyway... maybe because it's mindless knitting? It's portable? It's high on the instant-gratification scale?
Are YOU knitting dishcloths for fun instead of dishes? Consider donating your newly-knit cloths to the String Scrubbie Project. I realise that I'm sort of coming late to the game on this one, as our friends at Mason-Dixon Knitting were already hard at work a month ago.
With the numbers of knit-for-us charities growing, I wonder if there are more knitters willing to make products for sale than there are people willing to buy these knitted items. It would technically be less expensive for me to knit a few dishcloths and send them in, but then I would wonder if my cloths were then sitting in someone's home office gathering dust waiting for someone to step up to the plate and spend ten dollars on one. I'd almost rather buy a cloth or two to support the cause, even though I'd enjoy knitting cloths about a JILLION times more.
So I am pulled in many directions at once. I feel sort of spoiled and selfish with al the me-knitting I've been doing recently, and want to jump back into the charity thing pretty soon. I already have a red scarf ready to send in to the Red Scarf Project and am hoping to knock out a few more for the cause. In this case, I would much rather knit the scarf and let someone else enjoy it, because I have enough scarves as it is (or at least, I have enough scarves on the needles that are being made just for me). I get the impression from the Scarf blog entries that the scarves are indeed selling well, so I am absolutely gung-ho about supporting this cause.
Meanwhile, in Totally Selfish Knitting Land, I turned the heel of Retro Rib last night while watching Pillow Talk: my first Doris Day and Rock Hudson movie. I will probably pile a bunch more Day/Hudson films in my Netflix Q now, because I totally enjoyed it!
The knitters are coming over tonight, I wonder if there will be any fun photos to post..........
Tuesday, March 15, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment