Monday, May 02, 2005

not just a knitter: a reader, too

Since I have begun knitting, I have been looking for references to knitting in every book I read. And I read A LOT. It's the only thing that I do as compulsively as knitting (except maybe nail-biting?). This evening I was scarfing down chips and salsa with book in hand, and came across this quote in Jasper Fforde's Something Rotten:

"... with black hair swept neatly to the side, he might have been a male model from a knitting pattern."

Not a J.Crew or Gap model, or whatever the British equivalent would be. (Betsy would know!) A model from a knitting pattern! I wonder if the author kinda-sorta meant a Rowan model... Anyway, it made me laugh.

Nothing really to show on the knitting front: I've done most of the seaming of the knit parts of Interlocking Rings, and have crocheted 8 rings, which look pretty pathetic... I am losing hope (for no reason!) about the success of this project. I have promised myself that I will crochet at least two rings a day in order to progress at all, and not stuff the project away and forget about it. Take it from me, kids, crocheting with fingering-weight BLACK yarn is not easy, and requires constant attention and very good light. On the upside, it's given me cause to turn off the DVD player and listen to some This American Life via the internets. On the downside, I just got another stack of discs from Netflix and wanted to start watching them...

... so I cast on for a new pair of socks! I loved the Retro Rib socks so much that I decided to make the socks in the most recent Interweave Knits, the "Go With the Flow" socks, by the same designer. It's helping me reduce my stash, so I don't feel too guilty about having a new project in the mix. Stash reduction! It is ALL ABOUT stash reduction!

Or not. I think my Rowan 4-Ply Cotton for the Clover Lace Wrap should be in, and if so I will pick it up at LYS tomorrow. It's possible I could drop EVERYTHING and start on that awfully enticing top! I want to wear it while I still like the color pink. :)

I went to a potluck dinner last night, and as we gathered in the TV room for the new Family Guy episode, one of the ladies at the dinner pulled out some knitting and went to work!! I was so impressed: I myself feel uncomfortable if I'm around a bunch of folks but I'm the only one knitting, so I would never think to bring a project to a social gathering let alone start working on it. The project was identified as an Orangina-in-progress, and quickly thereafter our knit-talk chased everyone else from the room. It made me so happy to make a new knitting friend, and it was especially gratifying to have a fellow knitter appreciate the lacey Shetland shawl that I brought to keep the chill off my shoulders. (It certainly wasn't for fashion's sake, because both the color and style of the shawl totally clashed with waht I was wearing but I sure as hell didn't care. It was cold out.)

Anyway, enough of this crazy blogging. I've been waiting all day to dive into my knitting!

1 comment:

scarlet said...

Betsy, what I meant was what is the British equivalent of the Gap or J.Crew. Pllllease don't tell me it's "The Gap and J.Crew!" because then I will hang my head in total shame of the way our global economy has homogenized EVERYTHING including mundane casual wear.

After all, I long to visit a place with a "Boots" instead of a CVS, and Marks and Spencer, whatever that is.

Please let me go out with you this summer, and we can knit and not let each other feel out of place. :)