Sunday, January 29, 2006

where's the yarn?



Agent Gray knows something you don't know. In fact, "I know something you don't know" is probably her favorite sentence to utter. So I figured she would enjoy knowing about my new sock yarn before anyone else. No, I don't mean the Blue Moon Fiber Arts. I'm a little ashamed to admit it, but I accidentally bought MORE sock yarn via the internets just days after my Socks That Rock yarn arrived. Can you say "sucker"?

Here's how it worked: I was browsing some knitting blogs, something I do when I feel out of sorts and want something to cheer me up and distract me, and somehow ended up on etsy.com, sort of an "eBay for handmade stuff." I came across the online yarnshop Yarn All Over, and for days I could not banish from my mind the succulent and yummy yarns pictured there. I caved late one night, after trying to sleep and BEING UNABLE TO SLEEP knowing that this yarn was still unpurchased by me. One of the skeins I had been lusting for, "Bee's Cake" which is a gorgeous pepperminty mix of reds + pinks + whites, was already sold, so I comforted myself with my #1 object of yarn lust, Brambleberry, pictured above as the pink + brown mix, and the #3 choice, Melon ... the melon-colored skein. Each large skein is 100g, plenty for a pair of socks and then some. The seller was kind enough to include a few "mini-skeins" for me to play with. Also noted: I ordered the yarn on a Monday and it was at my house, clear on the other side of North America, by THURSDAY. So consider this an unqualified plug for this yarn seller, because not only was the service fast, but the yarn is GORGEOUS!!!

I will have the most beautiful handknit sox ever! I joined Sockapaloooza, so perhaps my sock pal will receive one of these skeins, in the form of socks of course! It depends on what her/his preferences are, but I think I have a hearty enough sock stash to find *something* appropriate, and if not, oh well. I'll just buy more yarn!

4 comments:

gray la gran said...

can i be your sock pal? you don't even have to knit the socks! just hand over the hanks ;) thanks for sharing with me. my mom mentioned today that she almost bought me some 'socks that rock', but croaked at the price tag. so, you must dote more on these wonderful handpaints ... that way mommy will feel sorry for me, as my girlfriend has all the cool sock yarn!

scarlet said...

Hand over the hanks... YEAH RIGHT. I'm not even sure that I want the yarn so much to have the socks but to have the yarn to knit with. C'mon, I'd never wear the "melon" socks but I would LOVE to make melon socks.

gray la gran said...

ladies size 8.5 foot,i like an 8" circumference and a gauge of 8 sts/inch ... a 64 st. sock sounds good. i LOVE melon too! oh, my feet are soooooo cold here in balmy n.c. you know how well my apt. "retains cold" ?! hurry!!! xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoox

Laura said...

What pretty yarn! You always have great taste in colors. Can I join in the fight for the socks?
And your previous post had me drooling over library. Books are the best.