Everyone was asking me this week, "What are your plans for St. Patrick's Day?" like it's some major holiday. I didn't even know when St. P's was, just that it was sometime soon, whatever. And then I get to work tonight and everyone (coworkers, customers) is wearing green. Except me. I'm a bad mick! I forgot to wear green! I got nary a pinch though, so I suppose I got away with it.
I found out today that some of the people at my new job are knitters! I'm so very excited by this, probably in a way that was too obvious and frightening.
I am using the single-circular method to knit a sock for the first time (some people know this as the "magic loop," which I think is an idiotic name and I refuse to employ it) and, after some initial resistance, I am getting used to it. I think I'll probably still use DPNs for some socks, because I don't feel like laying out more $$$ for more needles. I already have so many sockweight-appropriate needles, but since US1 is the size I use the most often I also lose more of those needles. This is why I am "low" on size 1s... at least with a 40" circular I won't have the "slid out and slid away" problem. I will document the sock further at another time, when I am not on the tail-end of a two-job, 15-hour day. [Why I thought I could work both jobs on a Friday (!) I have no idea. Momentary insanity... momentary, ha!]
My sockpal sent word that my socks are done, which means: the pressure is on! Contextual clues make me think that my surprise socks are made with Koigu. OoOoOh! Agent Gray thinks I don't like Koigu for some reason, but she's wrong, for the first time ever. I LURVE Koigu, but I hate the way it, like most handpaints, will make flashy little spirals in your circular knitting. But it makes such a cushy soft sock, how can I deny myself the pleasure? Now I can't wait for May to arrive, so that I may receive my socks. I hope it works out better than the delivery of the Birks sandals I ordered; the "please just leave it on the step" slip blew away in the wind AGAIN and still no sandals for me. I hope they'll let me pick them up tomorrow at the UPS warehaus, but who knows? Last time I had to do that it was a MAJOR hassle. So anyway: Koigu, yes; UPS, no.
I can't believe I'm still awake! Yesterday evening I fell asleep at the end of yoga in the famed Shivasana, the "Corpse Pose," which was a nice little half-hour nap, but still not enough to catch up! My problem is that even though I'm waking up at 6:30 a.m. now, I still can't get to sleep before 1 a.m. no matter when I retire. There's only so long this can go on. I'm hoping to get used to the "banking hours" I now keep, even though I feel a certain pride in the "waitressing hours" (bed at four, awake at noon) that I seem to be suited for. Am I not the one who claims that 9-5 M-F is for jerks and sell-outs? Well, I'm a jerk sell-out now! Hooray!
Friday, March 17, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
i just didn't think you liked koigu for socks! of course, i could had been talking about myself ;) remember my pretty yellow lace scallops socks? knitted on while in vermont? they're koigu, and they fall, fall, fall! it's quite tragic. but, i would sure love a koigu knitted t-shirt. that would be wonderful!
Post a Comment