Monday, May 15, 2006

My Sockpal Rules!

I know it, you know it. We've all known it: I've had my sockpal socks for a whole week now. I haven't posted because I am INSANE and have only sort-of recovered from Maryland. (Going home to my mommy for Mother's Day and telling her about it helped me sort it all out. Thanks, Mom, you rule as well.)



Yeeeeahhh!!! Can you believe that I lucked out and got a real live sockyarn HANDPAINTRESS for a sockpal? I really don't know what the deal is with that! I mean, my Secret Pal people have been way cool, and now this? Surely my luck is about to run out, since it really can't get any better. So, kudos to MamaE for my super-nifty, well-fitting socks. I wore them to CityBev Trivia the other night and wowed my friends with them. Included in the packet was a skein of UNDYED sockyarn (I think she spun it herself?) and a motherlode of drink-mix packets for my own dyeing adventures. Umm, also chocolate, which didn't last long enough for me to take a picture. Ahem.

Astute, long-time, totally posh readers will note that I knit myself some Embossed Leaves socks (same pattern as the socks shown above) this past winter.



Well, damn, kids, I'm not going to turn down another pair! I know some folks have had some complaints about the pattern, but I love my first set, and I love my second set too. It's interesting how using different yarn can make a totally different finished work (or pair of works, if you will). I am still considering using the seafoam-green Koigu I bought in Ashevegas for a third pair of E-leaves. I really think my mom will dig them, and there's nothing wrong with making a second shout-out to my mom. Yo, Ma! The sandwich last night was great, and thanks for a great Mother's Day!

Back to the other Mama. Please, check out her site for pretty sockyarns that YOU yourself can buy, so that in some kooky way, you can be like me, too!

Speaking of being like me, I must admit that I have been stalking a certain knitblogger and I found out the other night, while stalking, that we have the same birthday! I guess I should say I mean "stalking" as in "I read her blog, but not in the commentacious way." I feel sort of sneaky and weird when I read people's blogs regularly without ever commenting. Anyway, we have the same birthday, and I feel like there must be some sort of throwdown involved on the day in question. And by "throwdown" I mean "party or other festive occasion even if it's only online." And, if only I could persuade Delurked Gali's friendboy to start a knitblog, then would could have a blogring for knitbloggers with that birthday. And then we would be killed by craftblog assassins for "going too far." I can't help it if I'm ready to take it to the Next Level.

And now we know the fate of my sweet, sweet sockpal socks. Bowerbird Knits provides an amusing post about the receipt of her socks. Read on, because she has some seriously intimidating knitting for you to ogle. I'd also appreciate it if you went and listened to the Satin Bowerbird song that Billy wrote, not for her, but he may as well have. I mean, who else would deserve a theremin/songbird battle?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

thanks sister! It was a joy to dye the yarn and make them for you!

Anonymous said...

Oooh, gorgeous socks! And that yarn is so pretty- love the subtle variegation!

Anonymous said...

Your sock pal totally rules! Those are some beautiful socks!! : D

Anonymous said...

Mmmm, su-weeeet socks all around! Altho I was really confused (strangely) for a moment (or more), thinking, who the heck is Kate from NC?? ;)

gray la gran said...

one can never have too many lovely handknit socks.