So, there's a lot of catching up to do. First, a FO for you. Instead of websurfing I have been doing constructive things like finishing UFOs and finishing half-read books.

My partner in crime was kind enough to take this photo for me, and even post a sneak preview on her own blog while my camera-to-intarweb connection was still unconnected. I must confess, I am delirious with pride over my accomplishment. As projects usually go for me, this one was relatively pain-free, and I didn't have to cast on over and over like I typically do.
Feast your eyes!

I used KnitPicks Alpaca Cloud (two full hanks and wee bit of a third) in shade Moss and Fiddlesticks Knitting's Peacock Feathers Shawl pattern. The yarn is soft and light and I would use it again without hesitation! I like their available color palette for this yarn, so I hope they don't change it too drastically. The pattern is very detailed and well-written, with large, easy-to-follow charts that keep the knitter on her toes (by that I mean, not BORED to death). I really enjoyed this project! I am SO happy with it! My only complaint is that I used this moss-colored yarn, which I bought to make a different project before I had even made the acquaintance of the Peacock Feathers pattern. I think such an unusual design might need a color with a little more intensity, or *pop*. I love the color itself, and its highlight-lowlight variegation, but I don't think it's the best choice for this pattern. Whatever! I still love this shawl.
And now for the bad news. I have been struggling along with Team Kimono in hopes that I can impress other people participating in the Amazing Lace this summer. No such luck. On my first attempt, I used a too-small needle for my cast-on, so the bottom edge of the piece was too tight for my taste. Then I used a too-large needle for the rest, resulting in a yucky meshy mess. I ripped, and cast on again using an insanely large needle (the antepenultimately large needle in my collection: a US9!) and took up knitting with a US3. Muuuuch nicer. And so I'm truckin' along and THIS happens:

[It felt it necessary to doctor the photo in order to illustrate what's gone wrong, and where.] I was "play-blocking" my lace to see if I was satisfied with my gauge, and *SNAP!* the yarn broke! At the cast-on edge! That's what those loose loops are. Knitted stitches with no corresponding cast-on loops there to intermingle with them. Pardon my French: DAMN! So the project is parked while I try to figure out what to do. I think I might end up (gulp) putting fringe on this in order to camouflage the wonkiness. Any other ideas, my helpful readers?
Otherwise, I like the Kimono shawl. It's an easy pattern that goes along very quickly. The Husker Du black merino is behaving nicely, except for the breaking. And I blame myself for that. My play-blocking was a bit too enthusiastic, and I'll admit that when it happened, I was watching Reefer Madness: The Musical. Again. With actor's commentary. Hilarious.
4 comments:
oh no! not ferengi !!!
your peacock feather shawl is breathtaking! I love the green.
Maybe you can weave some fake looking stitches on the cast on edge of team Kimono? Good luck : )
Holy crap!!! That's so pretty! It looks really nice on you in the picture, too. Congrats for getting it done. I loved Reefer Madness; we laughed so much.
Use a crochet hook to slip stitch or single crochet across the cast on edge, making sure that you catch those loose stitches in good. I did this on a shawl I just finished, and it worked pretty well, but you need to crochet really loosely so that there is some stretchiness.
Post a Comment