Sunday, May 28, 2006

J is for Jubilation

[I know I'm behind on these. Trust me, I've been busy.]

J is for Jubilation, people, because even when you're really busy and freaking out, you need to take time and celebrate yourself.

sparkly bubbly yumbly

Apparently there is some sort of holiday this weekend, and typically I am wary/resentful of holidays because they usually mean that everyone else has the day off but ME. And everyone gets to go out of town and clog up the highways while I am trying to get to work on time. And either we are dead at work, because everyone is on holiday, or we are slammed at work, because everyone is not at the office and bothering us instead. And what does Labor Day or Independence Day mean to anyone anymore anyway? It means: 3-day weekend and a cookout.

I prefer to celebrate personal holidays. For one, my birthday is the absolute most important day of the year, it's better than Halloween, Christmas, AND New Year's combined. It is the one day of the year where it is MY day and I can get away with being selfish and crazy. There is usually lots of shrieking with glee. I also like my half-birthday, which is more like a solemn observance: no shrieking. Additionally, I observe certain anniversaries every year, although since I'm not married they are not the "anniversary" most people think of.

So, last Monday I treated myself to some dark-pink bubbly and an evening on the porch, because dammit, I'm still here and I'm all right. When was the last time you celebrated the fact that you are still on this earth, despite all odds, and goshdarnit, you're all right? You should pick a day and celebrate yourself. Your friends love you for a reason. Don't wait until your birthday.

2 comments:

gray la gran said...

i love your birthday too because that's when you take me out to dinner ;) by the way, when is your birthday so i don't screw that up again?

Laura said...

I like this idea of a half birthday...If only I was smart enough to figure it out without a calendar. Have some for me!