
Astute readers, who knew me in my first year of knitting, will notice that this is a project that I started Way Back When. This may have actually been my first lace project. These folks may also know the other side of the story: I finished this linen lace shawl, the pattern for which can be found in Nancie Wiseman's Knitted Shawls, Stoles, and Scarves, soon after I began, and presented it to my New Orleans friend as a token of my affection. (And what better thing to knit for someone in a humid locale fraught with air-conditioning ... a linen shawl!) I decided years ago that I wanted to make another one, maybe for me, maybe for Mom, maybe for Agent Gray (who deserves something, don't you think?).
Last Saturday I was doing some major Stash Rearrangement (moving a couple need-to-rips like Crazy8 Top into Stashlandia and taking out some need-to-knit yarns) and came across the beige linen I bought for Linen Lace Shawl Two. It didn't take long for me to cast on and begin: I already had the pattern book, and the lace chart conveniently photocopied for portability, and I figured it would only take less time to make it a second time. Having made several more lace items since the first version, I was more equipped to memorise and execute this relatively straightforward pattern. (I'd say "perhaps even tweak the pattern" but I can't think of any way that I would personally improve upon Wiseman's instructions.)
Even since I have taken the picture above I have made significant progress, and I'm finally to a point where I am again thinking about knitting during the lulls at work. I'm always glad to be in the middle of anything, be it a book or a knitting project or whatever, that will give me something to look forward to once I get home. And it's been quite a week; I'm especially happy to have something to comfort and distract me in this crazzzy time. The blogs are afire with cries of "foul!" in regards to the handling of the Katrina disaster, and while it's good to keep abreast of the news, there's only so much a person can take. Otherwise, I am going to work on the shawl in what spare time I have, and if/when my NOLA friend comes to stay with me (she IS homeless now) I can have a replacement shawl for her, if she decides she wants it. I don't know what else I can do for her, but I don't want her to feel bad for having lost something which can actually (thankfully) be replaced. (Sadly, I think she's lost the pictures of her wearing Shawl One as a Maid of Honor in a recent wedding. What flattery to a knitter to see a work of hers showcased as The Mark of Distinction at such a landmark occasion!)
1 comment:
oooh! pick me! pick me!!!! :)
fyi : our lys now stocks la gran mohair. but, wouldn't you know, there's no GRAY la gran ?! ("there can only be ONE!")
Post a Comment